Welcome to the 2017-2018 School Year!
The summer has flown by and it’s back to school. We hope everyone has had a wonderful summer full of adventure and happy family memories. This year our Washington Family is growing as a Transitional Kindergarten class has been added. Our Executive Team would like to extend a special welcome to our new students and families and invite everyone to the Welcome Back BBQ on Friday, August 25th. It’s a great chance to catch up with old friends and classmates, meet new families and enjoy a picnic and fun activities.
So what is the PTA and why does it matter to me?
Here’s a definition:
PTA® comprises of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of family engagement in schools. PTA is a nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education.
More Importantly, Here’s what we do at Washington:
- We fund the gap and provide $14,000 in arts instruction and supplies.
- We ensure our students get to participate in field trips by paying $15,000 to cover all of the buses and
- We sponsor educational activities such as the Hour of Code, Washington Learning Garden, and Artfest!
- We provide direct financial support to the Library and Computer Lab.
- We sponsor activities like dances, movie nights, and the walking club to enrich our students lives.
Our schools are underfunded and our PTA has stepped in to help fill the gap, but it’s not just about raising money. It’s about raising outstanding citizens and providing them with opportunities to flourish. Our Executive Team works closely with Mr. Perry, our wonderful teachers and staff to create a supportive culture and learning environment. If you look through the PTA Green Pages you’ll see all the wonderful things we’ve planned and we can’t do it without you.
How You Can Help, As Easy a 1, 2, 3:
1. Become a PTA Member at Round Up & Welcome Back BBQ
2. Support our 4 Main Fundraisers this year:
Direct Giving - $6,000 Goal in September to fund Arts Instruction
Fall Festival - $8,000 Goal in October to fund Field Trips
Read-a-thon - $7,000 Goal in January to fund Field Trips & Library Books
Walk-a-thon - $7,000 Goal in March to fund Arts Instruction
3. Volunteer! Be a true Super Hero and volunteer. Sign-ups are posted in front of the office, on Bloomz, or through your Room Representative.
We’re looking forward to a great year, please help us help our students!
Washington PTA Executive Board